New York based interdisciplinary artist Rashid Johnson (b. 1977, Chicago, USA) has been notably recognized for his works ever since being included, at the age 24, in the highly talked about 2001 exhibition “Freestyle,” organized by Thelma Golden at the Studio Museum in Harlem.
Johnson has studied at Columbia College Chicago and the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, was included in the 54th Venice Biennale (2011), had solo exhibitions at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago and in museums across America, and was a 2012 Hugo Boss Prize finalist.
Farewell Rodney is a kickoff to the collaboration between Rashid Johnson and Sommer Contemporary Art. In this exhibition, Johnson presents a lineup of young artists working mainly in New York, marking a renewed interest in materiality and abstract art. Following a generation dealing greatly with new-media and digital flat formats, these artists commonly return to methods of assemblage, sculpture, and abstract oil painting.
Featuring artists Terry Adkins, Robert Davis, Alex Ernst, Sheree Hovsepian, Rashid Johnson, Tony Lewis, Angel Otero, Clifford Owens, and Kon Trubkovich.
- virginiekhateebjournal likes this
- minimalismsdeath likes this
- derekrigby likes this
- flasd likes this
- katediaz1307 likes this
- varangiansophist reblogged this from blackspit
- kharms-shardam reblogged this from repulsed
- akisswithviktoria likes this
- drghd reblogged this from repulsed
- poppybitters likes this
- notquitehere likes this
- blindsimulacrum reblogged this from repulsed
- halloweenlesbian likes this
- samthunya reblogged this from popualr
- pomosapien likes this
- thistitlehasbeencensored reblogged this from repulsed
- popualr reblogged this from blackspit
- televisionsky likes this
- thelonelyppl reblogged this from repulsed and added:
- tvsfolder likes this
- kwaidann reblogged this from repulsed
- butisitartphoto likes this
- blackspit reblogged this from repulsed
- smokeghosts reblogged this from repulsed
- repulsed reblogged this from sommergallery
- sommergallery posted this